Five Standout Restaurants for Dessert and Baked Goods in La Jolla
Whether you're looking for an after-meal treat or something sweet to take home, you won't have to go far in La Jolla. Five of our favorite dessert shops are all located just a pleasant stroll away from most La Jolla restaurants in the Village.
1. For six decades, Baskin Robbins has been dishing out ice cream cones and sundaes. Since its founding in 1945 in Los Angeles, Baskin Robbins has created more than 1,000 flavors. Luckily for us here locally, at least 60 of these flavors, both classic and seasonal, are available at the familiar store on the corner of La Jolla Boulevard and Pearl Street. You can also enjoy sherbet, milk shakes and order customized ice cream cakes for special parties.
2. If cupcakes are your thing, you won't be disappointed in Cups. With so many delectable choices, you'll have to pick out more than one! Not only are the cupcakes here delicious, they are award-winning, organic cupcakes made from locally produced ingredients. The La Jolla dessert menu changes daily and includes such flavors as Vanilla Vixen, Death by Chocolate, Pina Colada, Caramel Macchiato, and PB&J. Cups also offers espresso drinks and strawberry milk and includes indoor and pet-friendly outdoor seating.
3. One of our favorite La Jolla restaurants for dessert, Girard Gourmet has been a bustling hub of the community for more than 21 years. A popular spot for breakfast, lunch and take-out, the bakery is run by husband and wife team Francois and Diana Goedhuys. Originally from Belgium, Francois was trained as a pastry chef. The couple own a farm in Julian where they grow their own produce. Popular desserts include fresh fruit salads, pastries, brownies, pies and cakes, including cakes for special occasions and designer cookies, from Santa at Christmas to surfboards and palm trees. There is both indoor and outdoor seating and a pick-up kiosk in the alley behind the store.
4. Another local chef with training in France and Belgium is Michele Coulon Dessertier. She is the daughter of Arlene and Don Coulon, who ran the Belgian Lion in Ocean Beach for 25 years. Michele makes all her La Jolla desserts with fresh ingredients, including real butter and Belgian chocolate. She specializes in decorative cakes for all occasions, especially weddings, but also offers a full selection of cheesecakes, tartes and pies, cookies, brownies, and cupcakes. Many of her desserts are available in mini sizes, in keeping with her philosophy, "Dessert is not something you eat every day, so make it worth your while. It's better to eat a small piece of something incredible than a lot of something not so great."
5. If your idea of dessert includes a great cup of coffee or tea and good conversation, then Pannikin Coffee & Tea is where you'll find it. Pannikin is always buzzing with people and birds on the outdoor patio or indoors around the cozy fireplace. Pannikin offers more than 20 varieties of coffee, 40 of tea, and many specialty espresso drinks and hot chocolate. They also bake fresh scones and muffins daily.
For more information about La Jolla, use our directory which features tips for the best dining, shopping and more!