How To Choose the Right Plumber for Your La Jolla Remodeling
When it comes time to remodel your home, there is no shortage of contractors in La Jolla wanting your business. Choosing the right ones will make all the difference in how well your project meets your schedule and budget. Finding the right plumber in La Jolla is one of the most essential contractor positions to fill. Plumbing needs to be done right and done right the first time, or repairing it later will be very expensive.
What to check out. Find two or three plumbers from our listings in the blue book and check out the following about the company before going any further:
- Verify their license and insurance is current.
- Check out customer reviews of the company online.
- Find out if they service your area.
- Make sure they are really local to La Jolla (and not just using the name for marketing).
Talking to the company. Once you have narrowed down your choices it is time to talk to the company about an estimate for the work to be done. Price is important, but so is quality and time. You need to make sure that written on the estimate are the exact make, model and part number listings of every supply they will install. You also need to make sure that they will guarantee the time frame of the work so that it does not throw the schedule of the rest of the remodeling off. A schedule guarantee is done by writing into the contract a financial penalty should they fail to meet the schedule due to their own fault.
Ask questions. Here are the three most important questions to ask a plumber you are considering:
- Where are you based out of and what areas do you work in? You want someone who is local to your area or who has a staff that is available in your neighborhood to reduce wait time for service.
- What are the qualifications of your employees? It is a common practice for plumbers to have people working under them who are not qualified as plumbers with a journeyman's status. You do not want to have someone unqualified working alone on your repair, make sure that a journeyman is always going to be present.
- Do you guarantee emergency services? Not only do you want to hire someone who will guarantee their work, but you want a company who can guarantee their response time.
Agree to reasonable payment terms. When you decide to hire a company you should make sure that the down payment is reasonable. Be wary of any company that wants too much up front. You should have clearly defined payment milestones set in the contract to follow.