Witness the annual Whale migration with a whale watching tour in San Diego curated by the Birch Aquarium at Scripps.
Each winter the Pacific Gray Whales pass San Diego on their 10,000-mile round-trip journey from their Bering Sea feeding grounds to Baja California’s warm-water lagoons, where the whales play, rest, breed and give birth (Scripps Aquarium). Every October the Gray Whales start their two to three month long journey from the melting northern ice caps. This south-westerly migration is the longest mammal migration in the world and can be seen at various points along the coasts of Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Whale watching season in San Diego starts in late December and runs through March 2014. The Birch Aquarium offers daily whale watching tours during migration season as well as extended whale watching tours in Baja California, Mexico (see “Whale Watching” below).
- Adult Pacific Gray Whales length can reach up to 49 feet long and weight up to 36 tonnes.
- Gray whales can live between 50 to 70 years.
- Baby gray whales measure up to 16 feet in length
- A mother gray whale’s milk is more than 50% fat.
- Gray whales have two blowholes on top of their head
- Gray Whales tails measure 10–11 ft across
- During migration season,they travel night and day and averages approximately 75 miles per day
Venture out in search of Gray Whales with the Birch Aquarium at Scripps twice-daily starting on Dec. 26 through April 14. Get an up-close look at these amazing whales aboard vessels from Flagship Cruises and Events. Learn about gray whale baleen, barnacles and prey from aquarium naturalists during this memorable whale watching experience, leaving daily from San Diego Bay. For more information or to purchase passes, please visit Flagship Cruises & Events.
Extended whale watching tours in Baja California, Mexico are available Feb. 27 through March 6, 2013. Travel is by private motor coach. Accommodations and most meals are included. For more detailed information regarding this whale watching trip and to make reservations, please visit Andiamo Tours Mexico.
For hotel accommodations please visit our La Jolla Hotels guide.
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- 3 Must Visit La Jolla Beaches - February 24, 2017
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide for February 25 – 26 - February 23, 2017
- Life IS a Picnic! Great Picnic Spots in La Jolla - February 22, 2017