Upcoming La Jolla Historical Society Exhibit Celebrates the Work of Irving Gill

test The La Jolla Historical Society and Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego are joining forces this year to present Irving J. Gill: Illustrating New Architecture, a collaborative exhibit that displays the famed architect’s presentation of building design and his integration of architecture in the landscape. Gill’s work is seen all over La Jolla, and is well known for his artistic eye; much of his work was done as hand-drawn sketches and watercolors, often with a mixed color palate.  Continue reading

The La Jolla Rec Center Celebrates 100 Years This July

One of La Jolla’s most beloved icons will be celebrating its 100-year anniversary on July 25th; the La Jolla Rec Center, commissioned by philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps and constructed by master architect Irving Gill (whose remarkable influence can be seen throughout the city), was completed in the summer of 1915 as a community hub when La Jolla was still in the early parts of its transformation.
Continue reading

National Women’s History Month: Honoring Ellen Browning Scripps

national women's history month March is National Women’s History Month – a movement dedicated to highlighting the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society, the celebration actually traces its beginnings back to the first International Women’s Day in 1911. In 1980, President Jimmy Carter issued a presidential proclamation declaring the week of March 8, 1980, as National Women’s History Week; by 1987, Congress had declared it as a whole month. This year’s theme is Weaving the Stories of Women’s Lives, and to honor the occasion, we took a moment to reflect on the life of La Jolla’s very own Ellen Browning Scripps.
Continue reading

La Jolla Historical Society’s 50-Year Anniversary & Renovations

La Jolla Historical Society

The La Jolla Historical Society has been a La Jolla institution since its inception in the 1940s; since then, its buildings have changed functions, titles, and hands several times. From the 40s until the early 60s, The Cottage (known today as Wisteria Cottage) served as The Balmer School and was later renamed La Jolla Country Day School. Then from the 60s until 2005, the structure served as a bookstore – first under the name Nexus and most recently the John Coles Bookstore. In 2008, the 1904 Craftsman-style cottage, garage, and surrounding structures were deeded to the Historical Society through the Scripps/Revelle family. The La Jolla Blue Book took a few minutes to chat with Heath Fox, Executive Director of the Society, to learn about its long history and recent renovations.
Continue reading