On April 1, Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla will be hosting a free healthy cooking class for parents and caregivers from 4:40 to 6 pm at their City Heights Wellness Center. The knowledgeable La Jolla physicians at this esteemed hospital understand the importance of nutrition and preparing well-rounded meals for your family, which is why this class is of no charge to those interested and it is open to the general public.
This will be the first class in a series of 5, focusing on everything from snacks and breakfast to healthy beverages and decadent dinners. Sign up for the interactive sessions in advance to make sure you have a spot!
In keeping with the theme of health and wellness, we thought we’d share some information about foods that have proven health benefits. Natural foods tend to have the natural ability to boost our body’s ability to fight off sickness and stay strong. Instead of flooding your system with fast food, caffeine and over-the-counter aspirins, try incorporating the 5 Superfoods listed below into your daily diet for a healthier body and mind.
- Honey: This ooey gooey substance has been known to help with sore throats for years but did you know it can also aid with healing minor cuts and eliminating constipation? To take advantage of honey’s health benefits try mixing it into some hot lemon tea or you can even dress a minor wound with some warm honey and an ace bandage. When in doubt always consult with your trusted La Jolla physician before taking matters into your own hands.
- Coconut Oil: This multi-purpose oil has been used to moisturize hair, clean skin, aid in immune response, control blood-sugar and fight off heart disease. If that’s not enough to make you try it, it also tastes amazing! Try using coconut oil in your next stir fry, mix a little into your morning coffee or blend it into a fruit smoothie.
- Flaxseed: This tiny seed is a great source of fiber and is easily mixed into almost any food item. Purchase regular flaxseed to sprinkle on top of salads or oatmeal or buy ground flaxseed to mix into baked goods or smoothies. Flax has also been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men. The doctor recommended dosage is 2 tablespoons a day.
- Almonds: Not only do these nuts provide healthy fats, but they also aid in making your body more alkaline which means less tummy problems and better oral health. Who doesn’t want fewer trips to get a filling from their La Jolla dentist? You can also try almond milk or almond butter for an extra dose of nutty deliciousness.
- Spinach: Lately, it seems like spinach has taken a back seat to the new up-and-comer kale. Spinach is easy to eat, easy to digest and cheap to buy. This leafy green vegetable has been shown to aid in digestion, fight cancer, lower blood sugar, strengthen bones and even brighten skin! Throw some raw spinach in a salad or sauté some with coconut oil and garlic for a yummy side dish.
Want an easy way to get all of the above Superfoods in one serving? Mix up a delicious Superfood Smoothie first thing in the morning to get your day off to a super start! Blend together 1 ½ cup of almond milk, 1 cup of fruit of your choice, 1-2 cups of fresh spinach leaves, 1 scoop of whey protein powder, and1 tablespoon each of honey, coconut oil and ground flaxseed. You can also choose to add in some additional ingredients like cinnamon, vanilla extract, or stevia for some extra sweetness.
For more information on where to turn for your health related needs in La Jolla, CAjust head to the trusted La Jolla directory at lajollabluebook.com. Click on our “Health Care” tab to find a list of trusted doctors, dentists, counselors, senior care providers and more.
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- Weekend Events: March 17th & 18th - March 16, 2018
- Cheers in La Jolla this St. Patrick’s Day - March 14, 2018
- La Jolla Weekend Open Houses: March 17th & March 18th - March 13, 2018