Pack some hot chocolate, put on a scarf, and take a drive to these awesome light displays in San Diego County! Extravagant Christmas light displays have only grown in popularity over the years, and America’s Finest City is no exception. We know there are dozens of places in the county putting on a show, so we’ve picked a few of the most spectacular displays from each area of town; check them out all month long and enjoy the beautiful Christmas lights in San Diego.
San Diego Botanic Garden “Garden of Lights”
Enjoy 100,000 lights illuminating the beautiful botanical garden. There’s a Nutcracker display, a Poinsettia garden, marshmallow roasting, live music, and holiday crafts. Dec. 6-23 and 26-30 from 5pm-9pm. 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. www.SDBgarden.org.
Jingle Bells at the Zoo
Check out huge displays of lighted animal sculptures, ride the Twinkle Light Trolley, watch live animal presentations, enjoy special music, entertainment, and delicious treats, and visit with Santa. Weekends 9am-8pm until January 4. www.sandiegozoo.org.
Explore beautiful downtown San Diego as trees, lampposts, roofs, and courtyards are all decorated with lights. Along 30th St. and Fern St. from Juniper to Grape to Beech. www.southparkscene.com.
Sea World’s Christmas Tree of Lights & SnowWorld
Experience Sea World during the holidays. The Skytower will sparkle nightly, and there will be a winter wonderland complete with snowmen building, snowball making, sledding, and more family fun at the Arctic Plaza, featuring more than 8,000 square feet of real fresh snow every day! www.seaworldsandiego.com
Sights & Sounds of Christmas
Walk the grounds of the San Diego Temple and enjoy 13,000 lights plus a Christmas nativity scene. Entrance is free. At the San Diego Temple: 7474 Charmant Dr., San Diego 92122. Open 5pm-11pm until January 1.
SEE ALSO: What to Do in San Diego This December
– Hickory Ct./Hickory St., 12659 Butterwood Ct. and Rockrose Ct. transform into Candy Cane Courts in Poway, one of the most well known Christmas lights displays in all of San Diego. Entire cul-de-sacs are lit up and thousands of lights grace the area. All houses are off Twin Peaks Rd. & Silverset St. 6pm-9pm until December 24.
– Garrison St. & Chatsworth off Rosecrans in Point Loma are known as the “Garrison Street Lights” and features a string of beautifully adorned houses. 5-10pm until December 31.
– 7607 Romeria St. in Carlsbad (92009) is nicknamed “The Christmas House” for a reason! Walk up to see animated window displays, swimming penguins, a dancing Santa, THREE snow machines, and a surfing Santa. 5pm-9pm until December 31.
– Fairway Village in Carmel Mountain Ranch (92128). More than 80 homes are decorated with holiday magic! Located on the east and west sides of Stoney Gate Place.
– Oviedo Street in Rancho Penasquitos turns into Christmas Card Lane in December! Also enter off Twin Trails Dr. & Carmel Mountain Rd. From dusk-10pm until December 31
– Oviedo Street off Black Mountain Road in Rancho Penasquitos turns into a winter wonderland in December! Also enter off Twin Trails Dr. & Carmel Mountain Rd. From dusk-10pm until December 31.
– 6266 De Camp Dr. in La Mesa (91941) boasts a 22-foot tree of light, penguins, dancing Santas, and more. Turn your radio to the posted station to watch lights dance to Christmas songs! 5-9pm until December 25.
– 5404 Mt. Burnham Drive in Clairemont features a 96 channel animated light display to 98.5FM. Tune in and listen while you watch the lights dance in time with the music. There’s also a North Pole Village display, a train, and an animated figures display in the garage!
– 5306 Belardo Dr. in Tierrasanta, off Via Valarta & Via Playa de Cortes. 100,000 lights and decorations are all sequenced and animated to music playing on 106.1FM. 6pm-10pm until Dec 26.
– 9773 Roe Dr. in Santee features 27,000 Christmas lights that dance to ten songs over 128 computer channels. 6pm-10pm until December 31.
– Jingle Bell Hill in El Cajon (92021) at Solomon Ave/Pegeen Pl. and the surrounding area (off 67 and Bradley). Hundreds of lights and animated displays. 6pm-10pm until December 26.
– 10248 Paseo Palmas Dr. in Lakeside (92040) is a string of more than 20 houses appropriately nicknamed “Tinsel Town.” 5:30pm-9pm until December 25.
– 2618 Sheri Lane in Lemon Grove becomes Santa Claus Lane each December. The light show starts at 6:30pm and plays every 30 minutes to the tune of 89.9FM. Until January 1, 5:30pm-9:30pm.
Will you be Christmas light hunting in San Diego this year? Share your photographs with us in the comments!
[source: sandiegofamily.com] [image: sandiegofamily.com ]
Latest posts by Emily Ruchlewicz (see all)
- Dia de Los Muertos 2016 Celebrations in San Diego - October 21, 2016
- Pillage the Village: Trick or Treat in La Jolla on October 31 - October 18, 2016
- San Diego Weekend Events | Oct 14 – 16 - October 13, 2016