Comic Con weekend can quickly wipe out your budget as fast as the worst supervillain! Luckily, these local La Jolla hotels and businesses will save you money, as they’re more affordable and accessible than what you’ll be able to find right next to the venue. Evade the San Diego Comic Con weekend traffic and high prices by checking out these last-minute options we’ve included here!
If you saved money by getting a San Diego Comic Con day pass or just want to avoid the convention center crowds, you still have event options all week! For incredible off-site events you won’t want to miss (bring your friends—no badge required for many!) check out our SDCC Off-Site Events Last Minute Cheat Sheet.
As of Wednesday, June 24, the following hotels had reservations available for San Diego Comic Con weekend, though that may have changed. Please contact these businesses individually for reservations.
Best Western Plus: Literally across the street from the Cove Beach (doubtful? check out our video here) Best Western Plus La Jolla is a quality hotel in a prime location. Just a quick walk to see the seals or hit the sand, it’s a favorite with all ages.
- Sample price profile for San Diego Comic Con Weekend was Monday – Tuesday $189 /night, Wednesday $209 /night, Thursday – Saturday $279 /night.
Empress Hotel: Beautifully furnished with a mid-range price tag, the Empress Hotel is a family-friendly hotel. Check out the Manhattan of La Jolla wine lounge for a relaxing refuge, or use their Happy Hour to get tasty and inexpensive appetizers to save money.
- Sample price profile for San Diego Comic Con Weekend was Monday – Wednesday $177 /night, Thursday $188 /night, Friday – Saturday $209 /night.
La Jolla Village Lodge: Nestled in the center of the downtown La Jolla community, the La Jolla Village Lodge is minutes from shopping, restaurants, and more. Affordable and adorable, it’s a great deal with a great location.
- Sample price profile for San Diego Comic Con weekend was Monday – Thursday $150 /night, Friday – Saturday $200 /night.
La Jolla Inn: Sample price profile for San Diego Comic Con Weekend was Monday – Tuesday $139 /night, Wednesday $189 /night, Thursday – Saturday $300 /night.
Sands of La Jolla: Sample price profile for San Diego Comic Con Weekend was Monday – Wednesday $109 /night, Thursday – Saturday $159 /night.
Now that you’ve got shelter for Comic Con weekend, figure out food. San Diego is one of the best cities for food in the world, but it can be pretty pricey. To avoid price hikes, eat near your hotel (map) in La Jolla. We’ve picked a variety of restaurants that should fit your budget.
For tastes and prices that can’t be beat, we recommend Don Carlos Taco Shop, a local favorite with incredible genuine Mexican food at great prices!
- Chedi Thai Bistro has a varied menu and a great $10 3-course lunch deal.
- Harry’s Coffee Shop, a charmingly classic diner, is open for breakfast, lunch, and brunch.
- Goldfish Point Cafe has tasty sandwiches and a beautiful beach view.
- Amici’s East Coast Pizzeria is a reliable standard–who doesn’t love pizza?
You’re allowed to bring food into Comic Con, so other solutions include bringing in takeout or picking up groceries. There’s a Vons and a CVS close to several of the hotels listed above on the map.
Camera bag broke? Forgot duct tape, or sunscreen for the wait outside San Diego Comic Con? Pick up these odds-and-ends on your way out the door.
For costume repairs and last-minute add-ons, Meanley and Son Ace Hardware has all the supplies you need including hardware, twine, and tapes. C & H Photo in downtown La Jolla has camera gear, including quality but relatively inexpensive camera bags, SD cards, and more. Vons and CVS on the map should have sunscreen, handwipes, and all those small things you need. If you need a book for some down-time or a notebook for autographs, grab one at Warwick’s. Check the map to plan your trip out!
If you’re really looking to avoid parking struggles this San Diego Comic Con weekend and save money, the 30 bus route (timetables here) runs from 5:30 am – midnight all days. If you want something more prompt, Martina’s Transportation and other La Jolla transportation companies have you covered.
Latest posts by Katherine Wood (see all)
- Community Spotlight: Prestige Floors Inc. - October 11, 2016
- LJ Crafted Wines: Bird Rock’s First Contemporary Winery - September 13, 2016
- Celebrate National Hamburger Day the La Jolla Way! - May 25, 2016