Like everyone else, I am overwhelmed by the amount of events that take place during San Diego Comic Con International week, no longer a weekend – but a full week of geekdom and pop culture money making debauchery. Everyone wants a part of the action, and while that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it can make planning overwhelming. So if you’re looking for ALL the events – including several gaming lounges and concerts that aren’t parties but just as fun – I suggest you visit these three links!
But for the lazy and the last minute, I give you a condensed version of some of the more interesting and fun things to do this SDCC14. Events listed do not require a badge unless specified.
BEST ONGOING EVENTS:
Nerd HQ at Petco Park is the place to chill out, play games, connect with other like-minded people, and check out panels that are NOT at SDCC. It’s free to hang out at Nerd HQ, but it’s $22 to sit in on a panel (totally worth it if you don’t have tickets to SDCC or want to check out more celebs). Find the panel schedule and more info at The Nerd Machine.
Petco Park Interactive Zone
Petco Park Interactive Zone is back w/the MOST outside-the-con interaction: Adult Swim, Hello Kitty, Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles, Sleepy Hollow, Sin City 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel-themed Laser Tag, and more! Events are set to take place each day, so check out a full description of booth info on SDCC Blog and be sure to check out the calendar of events.
On The Set w/Vikings
Head to 420 2nd street and create a character profile, a weapon of choice, and be prepared to meet hair and makeup to film your own 30sec Viking scene to share on social media. Find out more on A&E’s Website.
Zach Braff’s ‘Video Games: The Movie’ @ Digital Gym in North Park
For the early birds and the locals who want to “pre-game” the con, drop by Digital Gym and catch Zach Braff’s flick about video games. “Video Games: The Movie” is a film produced by Zach Braff and staring Will Wheaton, chronicling the rise of video games. Check out the showtimes during SDCC and more info at Digital Gym’s Website.
Gam3rcon @ 10th Avenue Theater
For those more interested interested in the spirit gaming and want to meet like minded people, Gam3rcon is back. Just in walking distance from SDCC, Gam3rcon offers: table top games, video games, retro gaming, geek theater, and roof top parties. Purchase passes at the Game3rcon Website.
- Game of Thrones: Survive the Realm (7/24-7/26 628 L Street across from the Omni Hotel)
- Godzilla Interactive Display (7/23-7/27 8am to 8pm on the lawn next to Hall H)
- Gotham Zipline (7/24-7/27 10am-6pm Hilton Bayfront Lawn)
- Homer’s Dome (7/24-7/27 10am-6pm Hilton Bayfront Lawn)
- Columbia Pictures Pixels Arcade (7/23-7/27 5-6pm Hard Rock Hotel)
- The Walking Dead Escape (7/24-7/25 6pm-midnight Petco Park)
- Check Out These Walks:
– 8th Annual SD Zombie Walk (7/26 5pm Children’s Park).
– Lolita Fashion Walk (7/27 2pm in front of San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina)
As with most Comic Con parties, you will need to get on some sort of guest list. I’ve weeded out events that are already “sold out,” but are still fun and won’t make you feel too alienated (things can get too industry or too nerdy – the struggle is real). These are the best Free/Paid/Wish List parties, Wish List being “exclusive” parties – but if you know how to play the game, you might just land yourself an invite.
- Free: Gabe Eltaeb’s Comic Kickoff Fundraiser Party at Basic Urban Kitchen + Bar (9:00 PM – Closing)
- Paid: Dim Mak (cough cough Steve Aoki) Comic Con Party w/Yolanda Be Cool, Klever, All Gold and Special Guests at Stingaree (9:00 PM – Closing)
- Paid: Hop-Con 2.0: The w00tstout Launch Festival at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station w/guests: Drew Curtis, Wil Wheaton, Greg Koch (Stone Brewing CEO) (7:00 – 10:00 PM)
- Paid: Nerdioke at McFadden’s (9:00 PM)
- Wish List: HitFix at Hotel Solamar
- Free: PubQuest Presents Super Video Game Land w/Antholy Bulcao at Mission Brewery (6:00 PM – Midnight) – Reception for Art Show
- Free: Munky King’s 7th Annual SDCC Party (9:00 PM – 1:00 AM)
- Free: QANVAS by Quiznos (7:00 PM – 10:00 PM OPEN BAR!!!)
- Free: The Her Universe Fashion Show and Hot Topic After-Party at Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel Ballroom (6:00 PM Free for SDCC attendees with badge only)
- Free: MTV Fan Fest & Fandom Awards with performance by Linkin Park at Petco Park (5:00 PM Free for SDCC attendees with badge only)
- Paid: LED X FNGRS CRSSD presents Wooden Wisdom ft/DJ sets by Elijah Wood and Zach Cowie at Bang Bang (free before 10:30 PM, $10 pre-sale tickets also available)
- Paid: Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF) Annual Party at Westgate Hotel (10:00 PM – 1:00 AM)
- Wish List: Showtime’s PENNY DREADFUL Party at US Grant Hotel, Warner Brothers’ Batman Cape Cowl Create at Hard Rock Hotel, 4th Annual Kings of Con at Coyote Ugly,
- Free: CraveOnline and TNT’s The Last Ship ft/MGMT and Grimes on the USS Midway (7:00 PM – 11:00 PM)
- Free: Square Enix Arcade Showcase at Whiskey Girl (11:00 AM – 2:00 AM)
- Free: Sony Online Entertainment Block Party (12:00 PM – 6:00 PM NOTE: THIS IS NOT IN WALKING DISTANCE! Shuttle service to the event will be provided from the Marriott Marquis and Marina)
- Free: Incognito: A Celebration of Cosplay with Mythbuster’s Adam Savage at Side Bar, 536 Market Street (9:00 PM – 1:00 AM)
- Free: Ghostbusters “Mass-Hysteria” Party at Werewolf (7:30 PM)
- Free: 3rd Annual M.O.T.U. After The Eisner’s hosted by Orlando Jones, Sarah Carter, J. August Richards. Open bar & food. At barleymash
(10pm – 2am.) RSVP by Wed 7/23 email@example.com.
- Paid: Marked Men V Pirate Party on the Star of India (8:00 PM – 1:00 AM)
- Paid: Comic Con Nerd-a-Thon at The Merrow (8:00 PM – CLOSING)
- Paid: Spin: Invaded by Unicorns (Jul 25, 9 PM – 4 AM)
- Wish List: Playboy and A&E’s “Bates Motel” on 7th and J Street, Sin City 2 Party at Hard Rock Hotel, Buzzfeed/CW Flash Party at Altitude in the Marriott Gaslamp
- Free: COMICON DRINK & DRAW SKETCH NIGHT & PARTY at BoomShop of Comics (8:00 PM – 1:00 AM)
- Free: Star Wars: The Old Republic Community Cantina tour at The Commons Bar (7:00 PM – 10:00 PM)
- Paid: Heroes Brew Craft Beer Festival at Embarcadero Marina Park (3:00 PM – 7:00 PM)
- Paid: San Diego SuperHero Pub Crawl starting at Taste & Thirst (2:00 PM – 2:00 AM)
- Wish List: Entertainment Weekly Party at Hard Rock Hotel
Share this San Diego Comic Con Off Site Cheat Sheet with your friends and start planning your Comic-Con Weekend!
[Images: Flickr, JINX, MTV, SDCCBlog, Suicide Girls]
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- What’s Happening in La Jolla & San Diego This Weekend: September 22 – 24 - September 22, 2017
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide: September 22 – 24 - September 21, 2017
- An Interview with Chef Maeve of Sugar and Scribe - September 21, 2017