The La Jolla Recreation Center on Prospect offers many family-friendly classes such as yoga, Tai Chi and Pee Wee Sports. Most of these classes are taught by professionals in their fields and are offered for free through the Rec Center. Check out what classes and events are going on this spring at the Rec Center.
Youth Sports and Classes
- Pee Wee Sports: This program will teach children 4 to 5 years of age how to play sports such as kick ball, T-Ball, Soccer, Basketball and other fun games. Meets every Wednesdays from 11am to 11:45am. Registration is open now and costs $10 for a five week session. Second session starts on May 14 – June 11, 2014. For more information contact Coach Lisa 858-552-1658.
Youth and Adult Classes
- Tae Chun Do Martial Arts: Get a full mind and body workout with Tae Chun Do! Students learn how to build self-esteem, character, flexibility, strength and build confidence. Classes include basic forms, two-person 3-steps, upper belt sparring, meditation and more. New students (ages 5 years and up) are welcome! Admission is ongoing and meets every Tuesday evenings from 5:30-6:30pm. Five week sessions cost $65. Nest session starts on May 6 and runs through June 3, 2014.
Free Adult Classes
- Ashtanga Yoga: Build strength, flexibility, balance and endurance with Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. All levels are welcome but please be advised that this class is designed for active adults in good health. The cost is free and meets on Thursdays from 6-7:30pm and Saturdays 9:30-11am. For more information about this class pleae call 858-945-2453.
- Kundalini Yoga: Kundalini Yoga helps with multitutde of ailmetns including stress, anxiety, depression and much more. It compbines conscious breathing, guided movements, stretching, meditation and more. This free class meets on Mondays 11am-12pm and Tuesdays & Thursdays 9:30-10:30am. Class instructor is Sasha Briskin from kundaliniwellness.org.
- Tai Chi: Tai Chi emphasizes calming the mind and releasing mental and physical tension. It helps to prevent stress-induced illneses like high blood pressure and improves balance and flexibility. All level are welcome to participatns 18 years and older. This free class offers two levels: Beginners meets Fridays 9:45-10:30am and Advanced class meets on Fridays at 10:30-11:30am.
The weight room is available to all paid members 18 years of age or older. It is equipped with a stationary bike, elliptical machine, treadmill, stair stepper, free weights and circuit training machines. Gym costs vary from $5 a day to $90 for one year. For information please call the rec center at 858-552-1658.
Upcoming Special Events
- Senior Cinco De Mayo Dinner Dance: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the Rec Center with food, drinks, and live entertainment! This event is for ages 55 and over. May 2, 2014 from 5:30 to 8:30pm. $10 per person. Reserve your seat by mailing your payment to: LJRC 615 Prospect St La Jolla, CA 92037.
- Kiwanins of La Jolla Pancake Breakfast: The La Jolla Recreation Center is teaming up with Kiwanis for their annual pancake breakfast and Celebrate the Family Day. Saturday, July 26, 2014 from 7am-11am. Stay tuned for more information!
- Senior Luau Dance!: This event is exclusively for ages 55 and over. Friday, August 8, 2014 from 5:30 to 8:30pm. Cost is $10 per person. Please contact the Rec Center for reservations 858-552-1658.
The La Jolla Recreation Center is located at 615 Prospect St La Jolla, CA 92037. For more information about the Rec Center please call them at 858-552-1658.
Share, post and engage with the La Jolla community by using hashtag #LaJollaBB
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- La Jolla and San Diego Weekend Events: October 20 – 22 - October 20, 2017
- Spend Your Holiday’s at The Shores! - October 19, 2017
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide: October 20 – 22 - October 19, 2017