Get in the holiday spirit with Old Town San Diego‘s ‘Holiday in the Park‘ happening this weekend, December 13-14, with live entertainment, fun activities, holiday shopping, and the 64th Annual Las Posadas procession. The State Historic Park will be decorated for the holidays along with a Christmas tree located in the Seeley Stables. See what’s happening during ‘Holiday in the Park’ with this handy guide.
Historic Merchants Open House
Saturday Dec 13-14 at noon – 9pm
Holiday in the Park kicks off with the Historic Merchants Open House. With more than 40 unique shops from jewelry to coffee and teas you are bound to find something for someone on your holiday shopping list.
64th Annual Las Posadas
Sunday, Dec 14 at 2:30pm
This centuries-old tradition reenacts the biblical journey of Mary and Joseph through the town of Bethlehem. The event begins with live festive music in the Plaza from 2:30-4:30pm, followed by the live theatrical procession of Mary and Joseph’s Journey at 5pm. Afterwards, head back to the Plaza where there will be a piñata party for all the children at 6pm.
A Christmas Carol – Cygnet Theatre
Now through Dec 28, 2014 & special tour Dec 13th
Catch a live performance of this Christmas classic at the Old Town Theatre and/or a one-time behind-the-scenes tour on December 13th at 12:15 p.m. The play is performing at the Old Town Theatre located at 4040 Twiggs St. San Diego, CA 92110. For tickets and information please call the box office at 619-337-1525.
Additional Events – happening during ‘Holiday in the Park’:
- live performance reenactment dubbed “Mrs. Robinson’s Fruitcake” at the Plaza at 1pm and 3pm.
- Warm up at night with Bonfire Nights, happening now through NYE. Enjoy free s’mores and hot chocolate right in the middle of the Plaza from dusk to 9pm.
- Be on the look out for creative and fun gingerbread house displays made by some of the various park merchants, all hoping to win the coveted Most Original Gingerbread House display.
- Hop on the Holly Jolly Old Town Trolley tour and celebrate in the sights, songs and traditions of the holiday season (for tickets call 619-298-8687).
Old Town San Diego State Historic Park is located on San Diego Avenue and Twiggs Street in San Diego.
[Source: oldtownmexicanfood.com, oldtownsandiegoguide.com]
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- Give Thanks. And Let NINE-TEN Do the Cooking! - November 20, 2017
- Don’t Miss the Electric Bike Festival! - November 19, 2017
- 5 Ways to Shed those Calories in La Jolla after your Thanksgiving Spread - November 18, 2017