Excited for the holidays? So are we! Fresh baked pies, cookies and chocolate are usually free flowing over the festive winter months. So with all this temptation what are some ways you can stay slim and trim while still enjoying yourself?
- Don’t start a diet and binge cycle. Eat healthy and exercise 4-6 days out of the week but allow yourself some time to relax. Pick and pre-plan one to two meals (not entire days) a week where you allow yourself special treats. By picking these meals ahead of time you avoid the guilt associated with spontaneous “binging” because they were planned into your health routine. And don’t let a holiday travel derail your health goals. If you’re planning a trip to La Jolla make sure your hotel has a gym with cardio equipment and free weights.
- Make it yourself. Not sure about the types of foods that will be provided at the work potluck? Prepare a lower calorie side dish, entrée or dessert yourself. This way you’ll have at least one good-for-you item and you’ll hear the praises from your grateful comrades all night. Another tip: never go to a holiday party hungry. Have a small snack or a drinkable fiber supplement (like psyllium husks) beforehand so that you don’t gorge on all the sweet treats.
- Eat slowly and eat purposefully. Thoroughly chewing your food and eating slower not only makes food easier for your body to digest (eliminating bloating) but it also allowstime to send signals to your brain letting you know your stomach is full. If you’re enjoying a holiday meal in La Jolla avoid fried foods, ask for all sauces on the side and get your vegetables steamed without butter.
- Drink lots of water and limit alcohol. Many times that we think we’re hungry we’re just dehydrated. Try drinking 12 ounces of water before every meal and drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water a day to stay satiated. Alcohol should be consumed in moderation because it delays the metabolizing of other foods that enter your body, it’s full of empty calories and it impairs judgment.
- San Diego and La Jolla Weekend Events: March 23rd & 24th - March 21, 2019
- La Jolla Weekend Open Houses: 3/23 & 3/24 - March 21, 2019
- Four Fun Outside Activities To Do This Spring - March 19, 2019
For more information on how to stay fit while still having fun click here or visit La Jolla Blue Book’s website and click on any of our directory tabs on the left side of the page. We cover anything and everything La Jolla, from hotels and restaurants to home services and health!