It’s not too late to plan a holiday getaway, and La Jolla is the perfect place to visit. During December, the “Village” (as locals refer to it) is decked out for the holidays with lights, decorations, and even a Christmas tree located at the La Jolla Recreation Center. On a budget? No problem! There are plenty of La Jolla hotels to fit any budget, from luxury hotels such as The Grande Colonial to budget-friendly Best Western Plus Inn By The Sea, both located in the heart of the Village. Need more convincing? Here are five reasons why you should spend the holidays in La Jolla.
1. Excellent Weather – It’s no secret that San Diego enjoys beautiful weather year-round. During December it’s pretty common to see rain one day and sunshine the next. The average lowest temperatures during December in La Jolla is in the mid to low 60’s so the most you will every need is a light jacket. The great weather also means you can enjoy lots of outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, or catch a whale watching tour offered through the Birch Aquarium.
SEE ALSO: 3 Family-Friendly Hikes in La Jolla
2. The Food – La Jolla is home to some of the best restaurants in San Diego, from casual to fine dining. During the holidays, select restaurants will be offering Christmas dinner service with spectacular ocean views like the Marine Room, and the Shores Restaurant.
3. Antiques, Boutiques, and Beyond! – Do your holiday shopping right in the heart of the Village. Whether you’re looking for a piece of jewelry or something special to wear, you’ll find something for everyone on your list. Find fun and creative stocking stuffers at Warwick’s or Hi Sweetheart gift boutique.
4. “Coastal Culture” – La Jolla is an art lovers paradise with a variety of fine-art galleries, and historic architecture. Prospect Ave is home to over twenty art galleries, and the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art featuring the work of Jack Whitten: Five Decades of Painting, currently on exhibit through January 4, 2015. Take a walking tour of The Murals of La Jolla, it’s free and some offer excellent photo opportunities! To see more of La Jolla’s “coastal culture” click here.
5. Location, Location, Location! – Conveniently Located just 20 minutes north of downtown San Diego, La Jolla is centrally located from all major attractions like the San Diego Zoo and Legoland, both of which are fun to visit during the holidays. On December 26th head to the scenic, bayside streets of downtown San Diego for the 2014 Port of San Diego Big Bay Balloon Parade, “America’s Largest Balloon Parade.”
To help plan your stay, be sure to visit our La Jolla visitors guide.
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- Experience One of The Most Fun La Jolla Summer Activities - July 20, 2018
- San Diego Weekend Events: July 21st & 22nd - July 20, 2018
- La Jolla Weekend Open Houses: July 21st & 22nd - July 19, 2018