Whether you’re a seasoned art expert or just beginning to get into art, you’ll find pieces to love at any one of these featured La Jolla art galleries. La Jolla features more than two dozen art galleries, each with their own unique focus. We’ve chosen 10 of our favorites to visit here.
From looking for something new and modern to add to your home or hunting for classic pieces, you’ll be able to find it in La Jolla. In addition to classic paintings, several galleries are dedicated to photographs, sculptures, jewelry and more art forms. Work from local, national, and international artists is always on display, and you can find original works and prints that you can purchase for display at home.
1. View close-up portraits of nature from all around the world at Thomas D. Mangelsen’s Images of Nature gallery (pictured at top). This gallery also makes for a soothing lunch break during the week!
Find them at 7916 Girard Avenue
Sun – Thu 10 am – 6 pm, Fri 10 am – 8 pm, Sat 10 am – 9 pm
2. Madison Art Gallery is one of La Jolla’s central contemporary art galleries. Marked by Asa, a friendly statue by Boaz Vaardia, you can catch art by John Baldessari, artist of the Brain/Cloud mural, here along with a long list of other talented artists.
Find them at 1055 Wall Street Suite 100 (entrance is on Herschel)
Mon – Sat 10 am – 6 pm, Sun 12 pm – 4 pm
3. For a uniquely La Jolla experience, be sure to stop by Legends Gallery, which features works by Dr. Seuss alongside other contemporary artists.
Find them at 1205 Prospect Street, Suite B
Mon-Wed 10 am – 8 pm, Th 10 am – 9 pm, Fri-Sat 10 am – 10 pm, Sun 11 am – 7 pm
4. R B Stevenson Gallery a Contemporary Art gallery with an emphasis on California painters and changing exhibitions of national and international artists. Find them at 7661 Girard Av Ste 201
5. Cosmopolitan Fine Arts features contemporary American and European artists, specializing in French impressionist and post-impressionist artists. If you’re looking for a calming landscape or pensive portrait of wildlife, this is the art gallery for you.
Find them at 7932 Girard Avenue
Mon – Sun 10 am – 5 pm
6. Quint Gallery is renowned by the public and critics alike, recent exhibitions “covered the newest works by seminal California Light & Space artists, the poetic and nationalistic artworks of artists from Iceland, and emerging young artists on the national art scene.”
Find them at 7547 Girard Avenue
Tues – Sat 10 am – 5:30 pm
7. Joseph Bellows Gallery concentrates in the photographic arts. Exhibits rotate through historic and contemporary collections, featuring a wide range of artists including Ansel Adams and Lee Friedlander.
Find them at 7661 Girard Avenue
Mon – Fri 10 am – 5 pm, Saturday by appointment
8. Thumbprint Gallery has monthly exhibits focused on urban art and pop surrealism. The gallery will host a 7-year anniversary group show on September 10, 2016. Stop by The Cottage next door for a delicious breakfast or lunch.
Find them at 920 Kline Street
Wed – Thu 12 pm – 6 pm, Sat – Sun 12 pm – 4 pm
9. Martin Lawrence Gallery features comprehensive collections of famed artists like Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso, Philippe Bertho, Erté, Marc Chagall, Robert Deyber, and more. This prestigious art dealer has lent works to 32 different international musems over the last 15 years. See them with your own eyes!
Find them at 1111 Prospect Street
Mon – Wed 10 am – 6 pm, Thu – Sat 10 am – 9 pm, Sun 12 pm – 5 pm
10. If you love the ocean, be sure to stop by Upwelling Fine Art, a gallery of underwater photography and related art! Right now, catch Glassd surfboard art by local artist Katy Helen Stockinger.
Find them at 2148 Avenida de la Playa, Suite E
Sun – Mon, Th – Sat 12 pm – 5 pm
Worth checking out: ,a href=”http://www.lajollabluebook.com/blog/gallery-at-lands-end/”>Gallery at Land’s End features local artists and has a retail area of handcrafted goods. Moonglow Design, located in Bird Rock, displays an array of sandblasted decorations, etched mirrors with design-matching porcelain, wooden tables carved into animals and unique ocean paintings.
If you’re looking for a fun weekend outing, consider spending some time visiting La Jolla’s diverse collection of art galleries – they’re all within walking distance of one another. Hungry from your touring? Luckily, you’re in the middle of some of La Jolla’s finest restaurants. In addition to visiting La Jolla’s private galleries, art lovers should also plan to spend a bit of time visiting the La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art or the La Jolla Map and Atlas Museum. Visiting the museum is a great addition to your tour of La Jolla art galleries. Heading down to watch the sunset at La Jolla Cove is a great way to wrap up your day.
Let us know which your favorite galleries were in the comments!
Latest posts by Vanessa Turkeltaub (see all)
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide for July 23-24, 2016 - July 22, 2016
- 5 Unbelievable Virtual Reality Experiences at Comic-Con - July 20, 2016
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide for July 16 – 17, 2016 - July 15, 2016