October is National Apple Month, and to help you celebrate we bring you this yummy treat, fried cinnamon apple rings. This recipe was shared on Julian Apple Days Facebook page and we couldn’t resist sharing it with you all! Before you start, a note from the author: “Apples can go a long way in the recipe, so if you don’t get to all 4 apples, don’t worry. Make as much or as little as you like.” Enjoy!
What you’ll need:
4 large Apples (Any Kind)
1 cup Flour
¼ tsp. Baking Powder
2 tablespoons Sugar
¼ tsp. Salt
⅛ tsp. Cinnamon
1 large Egg, beaten
1 cup Buttermilk
Oil for Frying (We Use EVOO or Canola)
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
⅓ cup Sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine the egg and buttermilk.
3. In a third dish, make your cinnamon-sugar topping by combining the ⅓ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set that aside too.
4. Next, slice the apples into ¼-inch thick slices, and use circle biscuit cutters in graduated sizes to make rings out of each slice.
5. Discard the center circles containing the apple core.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat to 350°F.
7. Combine the contents of the first and second dishes as the oil warms up. This will be your batter.
8. Dip the apple rings in and out of the batter one at a time, removing any dripping excess by tapping the rings against the side of the bowl.
9. Fry the rings in small batches, turning them to ensure browning on both sides.
10. Once the rings are golden and crispy, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel for a few seconds.
11. Quickly transfer the apple rings, one by one, into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and coat evenly.
12. Transfer to a wire rack and serve warm.
Want more recipes? Browse through our recipe series which feature recipes from La Jolla restaurants and more.
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- What’s Good In San Diego This Weekend? April 22 – 23 - April 21, 2017
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide for April 22 – 23 - April 20, 2017
- The Storied History of Brockton Villa - April 19, 2017