Enjoying a bonfire at La Jolla Shores is a very popular activity especially during summer and major holidays like Memorial Day and Fourth of July. Securing a fire pit at La Jolla Shores can be challenging; that’s why we’ve put together some helpful tips and information you need to know to have a fun and safe day at the beach.
There are about 4-5 fire pits at La Jolla Shores on a first come, first served basis. To secure a fire pit requires dedication as you will have to get there at or before 6 a.m. (much earlier during major holidays). I personally went on a Sunday one summer and got the last fire pit at 6a.m.! If you’re able to successfully secure a fire pit this is what you need to know:
- The burning of rubbish is prohibited.
- Only wood (no pallets), charcoal or paper products may be used as fuel.
- The fire must be extinguished before leaving the beach.
- Fires are not allowed between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Coals must be removed or deposited in hot coal containers.
- Open beach fires outside containers are prohibited!
La Jolla Shores is staffed with lifeguards year round. Lifeguards are generally on duty from 9:00 a.m. to dusk; check with lifeguards for specific staff hours. [image: @uniiity via instagram]
Swimming and Surfing
- Always call ahead to check surf conditions.
- Never swim alone and always swim near a lifeguard.
- A black & yellow checkered flag marks the swimming & surfing zones.
[image: @scoutsociety via instagram]
Other Things to Know
BBQing on the beach is prohibited, however, you can BBQ on the grassy area that is located right across the boardwalk. There is also a limited amount of built-in public BBQ’s available. There are showers and restrooms conveniently located near the fire pits. Finding parking during peak times can be difficult so please plan accordingly. If you’re planning a large gathering be sure to follow this basic rule of thumb: any gathering of more than 50 people requires a permit from the Park and Recreation Department. Please also be aware that the following is NOT allowed on the beach, cliffs, walkways, park areas and adjacent parking lots:
- No alcoholic beverages
- No glass containers
- No smoking
- No littering
- No disturbing noise
- No overnight camping
- No dogs (From November 1 through March 31, dogs are NOT allowed on the beach between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. From April 1 through October 31, dogs are NOT allowed on the beach between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.)
La Jolla Shores is located at 8200 Camino del Oro (between Vallecitos & Lee Ln) in la Jolla, CA 92037.
Helpful contact information:
For permit information call Regional Parks at (619)235-1169.
To check surf conditions (619)-221-8824.
For all emergency’s please call 9-1-1.
Latest posts by Vanessa Turkeltaub (see all)
- Featured Recipe: Fried Cinnamon Apple Rings - October 22, 2014
- Featured Recipe: Manhattan Of La Jolla Famous NY Cheesecake - October 15, 2014
- U.S. Bank Remembers Melissa Ratcliff With A Remembrance Table At LJAWF - October 10, 2014