Many of you may not know the name Theodor Seuss Geisel, but chances are you have read a book by Dr. Seuss. Geisel is the author who penned those miraculous and colorful youthful books that have stood the test of time. March 2nd would have been the famous author and cartoonist’s 110th birthday and the people in La Jolla plan on celebrating.
Theodor Geisel, along with his wife Audrey Geisel, lived out their end years in a quaint but lavish home in La Jolla on Mt. Soledad, affectionately deemed the “Seuss Home.” Their house, which still stands next to the Mt. Soledad cross overlooking the Pacific Ocean, is covered in art, Lorax statues and books. Geisel was so largely affected by San Diego that he even donated the funds to build the Lion Wading Pool at the San Diego Wild Animal Park in 1973.
America as a whole was so greatly impacted by Dr. Seuss that his birthday is now National Read Across America Day. Children and parents can visit readacrossamerica.org for more information on this holiday, also known as Dr. Seuss Day, and to get 20% off on Dr. Seuss books in their online store!
Interested in learning more about the interesting life of Dr. Seuss? You can see the largest collection of Dr. Seuss literature and memorabilia right here in La Jolla at the Geisel Library on the UCSD campus. Or you can take a tour through the Legends Art Gallery in La Jolla Village to see some of Geisel’s secret and most famous art work.
Here are some famous and inspiring life quotes from La Jolla resident Theodor Geisel, aka. Dr. Seuss:
- Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
- Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.
- Kid, you’ll move mountains.
- And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
- Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
- You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
- If you never did you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.
- You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?
What wonderful reminders to enjoy life, have fun and be yourself! Be sure to utilize our La Jolla directory to do all of these things during your whimsical La Jolla vacation. On the other hand, if you’re a La Jolla resident, celebrate Seuss on his birthday by reading The Cat in the Hat or better yet, see his characters comes to life at Seussical the Musical, playing now through March 9th at the American Spirit Theater.
Share, post and engage with the La Jolla community by using hashtag#LaJollaBB
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- La Jolla Weekend Events: 5/18 & 5/19 - May 17, 2019
- La Jolla Weekend Open Houses: 5/18 & 5/19 - May 17, 2019
- La Jolla and San Diego Mother’s Day Weekend Events: May 11th – 12th - May 10, 2019