You may remember the La Jolla Community Center as the Riford Center, which has been around for decades as one of La Jolla’s most central and accessible places for learning, fitness, meeting new people, and various social activities for all local adults. It was completely remodeled in 2012 and is now named, quite appropriately, the La Jolla Community Center.
Florence Riford funded the Center as a small social club for local residents several years ago; today, the center is operated and sustained as a successful nonprofit organization supported by members, volunteers, and contributors. Thanks to a series of ongoing generous donations, the center has recently been able to dramatically update and enhance its facilities. It’s beautifully designed, and not a bad place to spend a sunny summer day!
Here’s a look at the before:
And the new & improved after:
The center offers a wide variety of daily programs, beginning at 8am every morning and finishing up around 5pm. Here’s a quick breakdown of some of their activities:
Arts & Crafts
- Jewelry making
- Art classes
- Readers Theater
Language & Writing
- Spanish, French, and Italian classes
- Writing Workshops and Bridge Classes
Wellness & Fitness
- Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, & more
- Health Living classes and workshops
- Cooking classes, Day Trips, Social Bridge
- Distinguished Speaker Series
- Annual Luncheons and Special Events
- AARP Drivers Safety Course
- Elder Law & Advocacy
- Senior Living/Assistance information
The facility includes a full-size kitchen, several large activity rooms, and a fully-equipped computer training room; you can also rent out or reserve the rooms for your own meetings, events, or corporate luncheons.
The La Jolla Community Center is open on Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm, and on Saturday just for scheduled classes and special events. It is located on 6811 La Jolla Boulevard in the heart of beautiful La Jolla, and easily accessible for the disabled and elderly.
This would be a great place to spend some time working on yourself – take a cooking class, learn how to do Pilates, or sign up for a healthy living workshop! Visit their website for more information or to enroll in a program.
Share, post and engage with the La Jolla community by using hashtag #LaJollaBB
Images courtesy of ljcommunitycenter.org, sandiegodigitalphotos.com, and sdnews.com
Latest posts by Emily Ruchlewicz (see all)
- La Jolla Veterinary Hospital to Perform Free Dental Procedures for Pets During the Holidays - November 29, 2016
- Community Spotlight: Karen Anderson, DPM of La Jolla - November 29, 2016
- 10 Thanksgiving Week Activities in San Diego - November 18, 2016