November is National Aviation Month and San Diego holds a special place in the world of aviation. It was from San Diego that Charles Lindbergh took off on the Spirit of St. Louis to New York and then successfully across the Atlantic Ocean, non-stop to Paris. It is no wonder San Diego’s International Airport carries Charles’ last name; after all, Charles himself pushed for the construction of the airport and agreed to lend his last name. Believe it or not, today, San Diego’s airport is the busiest single-runway major airport in the nation and the second in the world.
Speaking of believe it or not and aviation month, did you know the first Ripley’s Believe It or Not! exhibit since the California Pacific International Exposition in 1935 is on display at the San Diego Air and Space Museum? The special exhibit is a self-guided, self-paced interactive tour that is fun for the whole family and surely San Diego’s most bizarre attraction. Some of the many interactive galleries include:
- Aviation and Space Oddities
- Unusual Modes of Transportation
- Strange People and Odd Animals
- Weird, Wacky, and Unusual Art
- The Robert Ripley Story
- Tribal Artifacts collected from around the globe (including an authentic shrunken head)
- Vampires and Graveyards (view an original vampire killing kit!)
Leave a comment about your first flight experience (it can be anything at all, for example how old you were, where did you travel to or anything special that you wish to share) and you could win a pair of tickets to the Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! exhibition at the San Diego Air and Space Museum!
BONUS IF YOU CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION BELOW:
San Diego Airport is the second busiest single-runway airport in the world. What is the number one busiest single-runway airport in the world?
One Person Will Be Chosen At Random.
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- 4 Things to do in La Jolla Memorial Day Weekend - May 26, 2017
- La Jolla and San Diego Memorial Day Weekend Ceremonies for 2017 - May 25, 2017
- La Jolla Open House Weekend Guide for May 27 – 28 - May 24, 2017