While La Jolla Cove draws many visitors every summer, anyone wanting a perfect day at the beach should skip the crowds at the Cove and spend a beach day at La Jolla Shores. Here are our top 5 reasons why:
1. Family friendly beach: La Jolla Shores is a great place for families to enjoy the beauty of the Pacific Ocean. A playground and a grassy picnic area–where barbecuing is permitted–are adjacent to the beach, and the area is equipped with public bathrooms and showers. The waves are gentle, and the mild nature of the current makes La Jolla Shores the perfect place for anyone to learn how to surf; just head to La Jolla Kayak (located on Avenida de la Playa) to rent a board.
[Photo courtesy of sdnews.com]
2. Best place for a bonfire: Fire pits are located at La Jolla Shores on the beach, and bonfires are a great way to spend any summer evening. These fire pits are offered on a first-come basis, so make sure to get to the Shores early to secure one; in the summer, get to the Shores at or before 6 A.M., especially on special holidays like the Fourth of July. Trust us, it will be worth it. Remember, no summer bonfire is complete without making s’mores!
3. Good food galore: The La Jolla Shores area is home to many fabulous restaurants: Try a divine burger with a side of fries and a milkshake at Jeff’s Burgers, or for an al fresco dining experience, indulge in the Italian cuisine offered by Piatti (make sure to buy a bottle of their signature bread-dipping sauce.) Whether you’re looking for a casual bite to eat or a sit-down setting, the restaurants at La Jolla Shores will satisfy anyone’s palate, and the people-watching is excellent, too.
[Photo courtesy of La Jolla Kayak]
4. Perfect for water activities: La Jolla Shores is the perfect place to get your adventure on. Sign up for a variety of guided tours at La Jolla Kayak, located three blocks from the beach–our favorite is the kayak and snorkel tour; for those who have always wanted to try surfing, sign up for surf lessons at Menehune Surf School, which offers private and group surf lessons for all ages.
5. Breathtaking beach view: While La Jolla Cove does offer great views of the ocean, La Jolla Shores boasts a unique view of the Pacific Ocean sans the crowds that overtake the Cove. Want to enjoy a Californian sunset the local way? Take a blanket and a bottle of wine to the grassy picnic area at Kellogg Park, adjacent to the La Jolla Shores Hotel, and watch the sun set over the beautiful coastal gem that is La Jolla.
These are just 5 of the many reasons we love visiting La Jolla Shores. Let us know about your trip to the Shores below!
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- San Diego and La Jolla Weekend Events: March 23rd & 24th - March 21, 2019
- La Jolla Weekend Open Houses: 3/23 & 3/24 - March 21, 2019
- Four Fun Outside Activities To Do This Spring - March 19, 2019