Wondering where to recycle your Christmas tree? Well you’re in luck because we’ve rounded up three ways to recycle your tree. So what can be recycled? Both green and flocked trees (fake snow) are accepted for recycling, sorry no artificial trees. Before recycling your tree be sure that all tree stands, lights, ornaments, tinsel, and other tree decorations are removed.
1. Curb Collection – Only available for San Diego residents with yard waste collection. Manual container customers using their own bins should place trees on the curb for collection on your regular greenery recycling pickup day. Trees over four feet in length should be cut in half. Automated container customers using the large, green 96-gallon bin provided by the city should cut their trees to fit into the automated container for pickup on collection day.
2. Alternative recycling – We also like this earth-friendly option suggested by realchristmastrees.org: recycle your Christmas tree into mulch! A Christmas tree is biodegradable; its branches may be removed, chipped, and used as mulch in the garden.
3. Drop-off your tree through Jan 23rd at the following locations:
- Carmel Valley – Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Drive, lower parking lot
- Encanto – Cielo Drive at Woodman Street
- Golden Hill – Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Drive
- La Jolla – Kate Sessions Memorial Park, Soledad Road and Loring Street
- Logan Heights – Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Avenue
- Miramar – The Greenery at the Miramar Landfill, Convoy Street north of Highway 52
- Mission Bay – Sea World Drive at Pacific Highway
- Oak Park – Chollas Lake, 6350 College Grove Drive, in Gloria’s Mesa parking lot
- Ocean Beach – Robb Athletic Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon Street
- Otay Mesa/Nestor – Montgomery Waller Community Park (lower-west parking lot)
- Rancho Bernardo – Rancho Bernardo Recreation Center, 18448 W. Bernardo Drive
- Rancho Penasquitos – Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Road
- San Diego State University – Parking Lot D off Alvarado Road
- Scripps Ranch – Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Drive
- Tierrasanta – De Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
- University City – Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Drive
In addition, the Miramar Greenery, located at the Miramar landfill, accepts trees throughout the year. For more information please visit, The City of San Diego Environmental Services Department.
Latest posts by lajollabluebook (see all)
- San Diego & La Jolla Weekend Events: April 21st & 22nd - April 20, 2018
- NEW Tasting Menu at The Marine Room - April 19, 2018
- La Jolla Open Houses Weekend: April 21st & 22nd - April 18, 2018